There’s nothing that says good barbeque like a charcoal grill. Electric grills may be more efficient, but they lack that classic smoky charcoal taste. When it comes to charcoal grills, Weber is one of the best-known brands.
In this article, we will take a look at the best Weber Charcoal grills on the market and provide you with our reviews of each model.
How We Reviewed the Weber Charcoal Grills
We looked at every charcoal grill offered by Weber and broke them down into several categories groups based on different types of grilling functions. Once we categorized all of the products, we researched each model to pick out the best product in each of the groupings.
When choosing these models, we weighed a variety of different elements such as price, performance, and special features. Below we have reviews for our picks of the top Weber Charcoal Grills series. Each review will cover grill features, pros and cons of the model, and pricing.
Many barbeque enthusiasts swear that a smoker is the way to go when it comes to flavorful, juicy meats and veggies. A good smoker should be able to maintain a steady temperature for hours of cooking and will infuse whatever you’re cooking with a smoky flavor that isn’t too overpowering.
For this category, we chose the Smokey Mountain Charcoal Grill Smoker in 18”, though the 14” and 22” models are very similar.
- Porcelain-enameled lid, bowl, and center section retain heat and won't rust or peel
- Two cooking grates provide ample room for smoking two large items at once
- Silicone temperature grommet monitors the internal temperature of your smoker
Smokey Mountain Weber Charcoal Grill Smoker Features
- Bullet-Shaped Body. The bullet-shaped body on the Smokey Mountain grill allows it to retain better heat and lets the smoke rise up into whatever you decide to grill.
- Two Steel Cooking Plates. Weber is known for their durable cooking plates, which can withstand even the heaviest cuts of meat.
- Four Air Vents. Three of the air vents are placed on the sides of the smoker with the final one on top of the grill.
- Built-In Lid Thermometer. The thermometer is built into the lid of the smoker and provides an accurate reading of the temperature inside the grill.
- Water Bowl. The water bowl is placed under the cooking plate and generates steam to help cook whatever you decide to put in the smoker.
- Porcelain-Coated Interior. The porcelain-coated interior allows the smoker to retain more heat and keeps the outside of the unit from getting too hot.
- Front Access Door. The front access door opens right to the cooking plate, so you can get a quick glance at your food without having to pull off the cover.
Smokey Mountain Weber Charcoal Grill Smoker Pros
- The smoker holds an even temperature throughout the cooking time, so everything comes out exactly the way you want it to
- Grill seals up completely so you don’t have to worry about any of the heat escaping and wasting your charcoal
- Infuses meats and vegetables with strong smoky flavors that aren’t too overpowering
- Built-in thermometer accurately measures internal temperature so you don’t have to open up the smoker to check on your food
- Vent placement on all sides allows you to adjust ventilation should the wind start to kick up
Smokey Mountain Weber Charcoal Grill Smoker Cons
- Front access door can bend easily, which might cause smoke to leak out from the front
Smokey Mountain Weber Charcoal Grill Smoker Pricing
The Smokey Mountain Weber Charcoal Grill Smoker 18” has an MSRP of $349, though it can be found cheaper on many retailer partner sites. For example, the model sells on Amazon for $299 with free shipping.
Portable grills allow you to take your grill just about anywhere, making them perfect for people who love to camp or want to enjoy a day at the beach. Portable grills should be lightweight and easy to transport while offering all of the grilling flavors.
Weber has a few portable grill options, but for this review, we chose the Go Anywhere Charcoal Grill for its ease of use while on the road.
Go Anywhere Weber Charcoal Grill Features
- Rectangular Steel Cooking Grate. The plated steel cooking grate provides an impressive 160 square inches of grilling area, so you can cook a full meal in no time. Weber grates are very durable and are highly resistant to rusting.
- Tuck-N-Carry Lid Lock. The Tuck-N-Carry lid lock securely wraps around the grill for easy transport. When it’s time to cook, you can convert the lock into two secure legs to keep the grill in place.
- Glass-Reinforced Nylon Handle. The handle is made of a glass-reinforced handle that is designed to quickly disperse heat, so you won’t burn yourself when it’s time to open the lid. There are also two handles on the side for easy carrying.
- 2 Adjustable Vents. There are two adjustable vents that sit on the top of the Go Anywhere grill. Each vent has three holes that let out steam and help regulate internal temperature.
- Porcelain-Enameled Coating. The porcelain coating helps to contain heat and also keeps the grill protected from rust.
Go Anywhere Weber Charcoal Grill Pros
- Made of extremely durable materials that can last well over 20 years
- Relatively large cooking area for a small portable grill
- Easy to transport with the Tuck-N-Carry lid that converts to durable steel legs
- Perfect for camping, tailgating, or just grilling on the go
Go Anywhere Weber Charcoal Grill Cons
- Front access door can bend easily, which might cause smoke to leak out from the front
Go Anywhere Weber Charcoal Grill Pricing
If you’re serious about barbeque, you’re going to want a grill that can handle anything you throw at it.
Professional grills should act as a fully functioning backyard kitchen with all of the functions you need to cook just about anything.
For the professional category, we liked the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center for its heavy-duty features that can keep up with the best barbeque chefs.
Summit Weber Charcoal Grilling Center Features
- Dual Position Charcoal Grate. The charcoal grate is what keeps the charcoal over the cooking area and has two different settings for your desired grilling style. You can set the grate low for smoking, or set it high for searing.
- 24” Stainless Steel Cooking Grate. This extra large cooking grate has a total of 452 inches of cooking space. This is more than enough room to cook an entire meal for the whole family or cook up burgers and hot dogs for a large party.
- Double Walled for Insulation. The Summit Weber Charcoal Grilling Center is made with a double-walled, porcelain-enameled US steel body. When grilling with the cover on, air is trapped between the two walls, allowing the grill to maintain heat for up to 12 hours.
- Rapidfire Lid Damper. The ventilation damper on the top of the grill has a hinged design that allows you to open it up for increased airflow. It also has a traditional side-to-side dial that allows for precise temperature control. There are additional three vents on the bottom of the grill.
- Gas Ignition. The Snap-Jet gas ignition system uses a 16 oz propane tank to help heat up your grill quicker. Using the gas ignition will cut down preheat time down to 15 minutes, nearly half the time it normally takes with other heating methods. It also provides a more even heating, so there will be less cold spots on the cooking surface.
- Built-In Lid Thermometer. The built-in lid thermometer gives you an accurate temperature reading from inside the grill. This allows you to monitor the grill’s internal temperature without having to open the lid and risk letting heat escape.
- Aluminum Ash Catcher. The Summit Weber Charcoal Grilling Center has an ash catcher at the bottom of the grill for simple cleanup with the One-Touch Cleaning System. Use the metal sweeps to push the air into the collection pot, which can be removed so you can dump the ash into the trash.
- Large Grilling Center Cart. There is a large cart attached to the Summit Weber Charcoal Grilling Center that gives you adequate workspace for meal prep. The table is made of stainless steel, which is easy to clean and resistant to rust. The cart also has a bottom wire rack for accessories, and a charcoal storage container.
- Gourmet BBQ System. Weber’s Gourmet BBQ System uses a specially designed hinged cooking grate that can be replaced with one of the five alternative grill surfaces available for purchase. There’s an attachment for a pizza stone, sear grate, griddle, poultry roaster, and wok cooking surfaces.
Summit Weber Charcoal Grilling Center Pros
- Grills meats and vegetables perfectly, with even cooking that won’t dry out your food
- Smoker cooks evenly and infuses foods a strong smoky flavor that isn’t overpowering
- Large grilling space lets you cook entire meals at once
- Heat retains well thanks to the double-walled insulation, which reduces cooking time
- Compatible with all of the accessories in the Gourmet BBQ System, which are sold separately
Summit Weber Charcoal Grilling Center Cons
- Expensive grill that may not be in everyone’s price range
- Slight learning curve for those who aren’t used to professional grills
Summit Weber Charcoal Grilling Center Pricing
Our final category is for those backyard grillers who want the classic grilling experience, but have a lot of mouths to feed.
For this category, we picked the Ranch Kettle Charcoal Grill, which has one of the largest cooking surfaces available in a Weber grill.
This grill has more than enough space to cook for an army and will retain heat throughout a full day of grilling.
Ranch Kettle Weber Charcoal Grill Features
- 37” Grilling Grate. The Ranch Kettle Charcoal grill has an absolutely massive 1104-square-inch cooking area on a stainless-steel hinged cooking grate. Weber is well known for their durable grates, so you can keep cooking on the same surface for years to come.
- Porcelain-Enameled Stainless Steel Body. This grill is made of a premium-grade U.S. stainless steel covered in porcelain. The enamel coating helps to regulate heat and also keeps the stainless steel from wearing or developing rust.
- Glass-Reinforced Nylon Handle. There are two glass-reinforced nylon handles on the Range Kettle Weber Charcoal lid, one on top and one on the front. These handles are made to resist heat, reducing the risk of burns.
- Tuck-Away Lid. The tuck-away lid holder is located on the back of the grill and allows you to store the lid while using the surface of the grill.
- Removable Ash Catcher. The ash catcher underneath the grill allows for easy ash disposal. To remove the ash, open the vent at the bottom of the grill to dump it into the ash catcher. The ash catcher can be removed and replaced for no-fuss cleanup.
Ranch Kettle Weber Charcoal Grill Pros
- Large cooking surface lets you cook just about anything and can fit about 15 rib-eye steaks
- Can create convection-style heat circulation by placing charcoal on one side and food on the other for an even cook
- Porcelain-coated steel is durable enough to last a lifetime, and some customers claim they have used the same grill Weber grill for over 20 years
- Lid holder is a great addition, especially when the only alternative is to place the lid on the dirty ground
Ranch Kettle Weber Charcoal Grill Cons
Ranch Kettle Weber Charcoal Grill Pricing
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, and won't rust or peel
- Premium-quality stainless steel grate is hinged for easily adding charcoal while grilling
- Slide the lid into the Tuck-Away lid holder on the side of the grill to avoid placing it on the ground
Our Final Thoughts on the Weber Charcoal Grill Series
Weber is a well-known name in the grill industry, and has been providing customers with high quality grills and equipment since 1951. Weber grills are extremely durable, so they’ll last for years with the proper cleaning and maintenance.
No matter what kind of grilling you want to do, there is a Weber charcoal grill that’s right for you.