When You Need to Replace Your Toaster Oven: A Breville Toaster Oven Review
One of the handiest small kitchen appliances available is the toaster oven. Whether you tend to get overheated, live in a hotter climate, or generally just want a quicker, easier way to bake and cook some foods, a toaster oven is likely to be a good investment for your kitchen.
We’re taking a look at toaster ovens, Breville, and one of the Breville toaster oven models today, to help anyone who’s looking for the right model.
What is a Toaster Oven?
Toaster ovens are small electric appliances that are used for either cooking or toasting small food items.
By design, toaster ovens are weaker than their larger counterparts, the traditional oven, and are intended to concentrate all of their heating capabilities into the heating of a smaller object. This speeds up the cook time. By extension, if all you want is to cook an object the size of a slice of bread, it makes sense to use a toaster oven since it preheats, heats, and cooks faster than the more traditional sized oven.
How Does a Toaster Oven Work?
Toaster ovens are a countertop appliance that is primarily used for the toasting and heating of food. When toaster ovens come up, most people think of bagels, bagel bites, fish sticks, and other small items that need to be baked. To accomplish the task of baking these smaller items, the toaster oven provides two main methods of cooking. The top portion of the oven features a toaster component, and the bottom features an oven component. The combination of these two different methods of cooking is what sets the toaster oven apart from other appliances, and makes it a versatile tool for your kitchen. To cook the food, the toaster oven uses radiant heat in a manner similar to how the average toaster does.
Electrical energy is converted into heat by the use of wires and metal alloys. When the oven is turned on, metal coils start to heat and this creates infrared radiation. A common feature of most toaster ovens is similar metal coils on both the top and bottom of the oven interior. This feature offers an evener cooking experience for whatever is placed in the toaster oven. Another common feature on toaster ovens is a timer. Internal timers are used to tell the oven to shut off at a certain point to prevent the food from burning. Different toaster ovens feature different kinds of timers and cooking options.
Additional features can include the following things.
- Slow heat cooking is used for cooking the food evenly on both sides.
- Certain models offer multiple levels to help cook different foods evenly.
- Depending on the model there may be two shelves for different types of baking.
- Defrost modes are offered to help get frozen food done quicker.
- Toaster oven features rarely include an automatic timer, but they can be programmed for the number of minutes needed to cook the food.
- Toaster ovens do offer a specific “toast” function, so you won’t need to have both a toaster and toaster oven taking up counter or cupboard space.
What are Toaster Ovens Good For?
When looking to purchase a new appliance for your kitchen it is important to think through how you can use it –after all, just because someone else suggests it doesn’t mean we need it. One of the biggest selling points of a toaster oven is the sheer versatility of use for this small, countertop device.
By combining the best parts of a toaster, and an oven, along with the unique features per brand and design, you end up with a device that pays for itself by saving you so much time and creating so much convivence.
Ways in which you can find a toaster oven handy in your kitchen include the following options.
- Toaster ovens can eat plates before using them for serving food.
- Toaster ovens are perfect for toasting nuts without using all the energy and effort of a large oven.
- Toaster ovens are great for those who don’t like using microwaves but don’t want to turn on the full-sized oven in the summer. They heat up leftovers quickly and efficiently.
- Defrosting food quickly is easy with a toaster oven.
- Roasting a small amount of meat is no trouble with a toaster oven.
- Toaster ovens are great for making a small batch of cookies, half dozen muffins, or an individual-sized cake.
- Pizzas, up to 13 inches, are perfectly done in a toaster oven.
- Baking pies is super easy and heats up the kitchen less when done in a toaster oven.
- You can use a toaster oven to bake more things when your oven is already employed with other things. This is particularly handy at holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving.
- Toaster ovens are great doing baked potatoes.
- Melting cheese on top of a dish is a snap with a toaster oven.
- And, of course, making toast in a toaster oven is always easy and quick.
Safety Tips for Using a Toaster Oven
While the toaster oven is a great tool for heating up a quick snack, it requires a certain level of maintenance to both enjoy a long use and avoid becoming a potential fire hazard.
Here are a few handy tips:
- When you finish cooking, make sure to clean off the tray as soon as it cools down.
- Once a week, make sure to empty the collection tray at the bottom of the oven.
- Periodically do a deep cleaning to get rid of all the crumbs and built up gunk.
- Before cooking, ensure any flammable objects are removed from the vicinity of the toaster oven.
- Certain food products cannot be used in a toaster oven. Make sure to read food item labels to avoid accidents.
- Due to the nature of a toaster oven, the cords get moved around a lot. Pay close attention to make sure the cords do not become frayed.
And Now, a History of Breville
Since we’re looking at one of Breville’s toaster ovens today, we thought we’d investigate the history and reputation of this company. Breville, the manufacturer of the Breville Toaster Oven, has a history extending back to the year 1932. This company began in the coastal city of Sydney, Australia. The Breville company was founded by Harry Norville and Bill O’Brien. Combining their two last names is where the company name Breville comes from.
The first products offered by Breville were radios and mine detectors for the war. Post-World War II and the transmission of television signals in Australia, Breville began to focus on the creation of small household appliances. As the years progressed, Breville had a television manufacturing brand they eventually sold off in 1968. Breville is the creator of the original sandwich toasting machine. This device was first released in Australia in 1974 and was an instant success selling 400,000 units in its first year. Soon after, they released the device in both New Zealand and the United Kingdom where it met with a similar wide success.
Breville became so well known for this product that in certain countries, the term ‘Breville’ is a generic trademark for a sandwich toaster, and even the toasted sandwich itself. For several generations, the O’Brien family helped shape the development of the Breville company. Both sons and daughters had influence in areas such as Research and Development and Marketing. Due to the innovation of the company founders, Breville eventually developed over a hundred active patents and been awarded more than 40 design awards.
Breville is a publicly traded company in over thirty countries, and in 2002, its brand was launched in both Canada and the United States. Besides its famed sandwich makers, Breville is known for a wide variety of products. These products include espresso machines, toasters, pressure cookers, juicers, deep fryers, toaster ovens, and food processors.
A Breville Toaster Oven Review
We pulled together information, reviews, and specifications to learn what the Breville toaster oven is really like so that you don’t have to spend as much time investigating it yourself.
General Overview for the Breville Toaster Oven
From the outside, the Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Elements IQ looks like a lot of its competition. Looks can be deceiving, though, which the Breville BOV800XL proves. The genius behind the Breville toaster oven is that it was built from the ground up around the idea that different foods require different methods of heating. Some foods require simple baking, while meats require searing.
- Element IQ delievers the right power at the right time and when adjusted to taste, remembers
- 9 present functions: Toast, Bagel, Bake, Roast, Broil, Pizza, Cookies, Reheat and Warm
- 1800W with 5 Quartz heating elements
Unlike most toaster ovens that fail to distribute their heat in an even and consistent manner, the Breville Smart Oven does so and that helps this little machine stand apart from the competitors. This Smart Oven comes specially equipped with Element IQ cooking technology which automatically adjusts the power of the five individual heating elements to cook food in a more even and quick manner. This heating system ensures that heat is distributed evenly throughout the oven as needed in order to cook your food efficiently. Additionally, unlike more traditional ovens where the heat is either on or off, the Element IQ functions more like a light with a dimmer switch.
Basic Information and Features
- The Breville Smart Oven runs on a variety of online retailers like Amazon, eBay, and Bed Bath and Beyond.
- The Breville toaster oven comes in silver and uses 1800 watts with 5 quartz heating elements.
- The Smart Oven has a backlight with a color changing LCD control panel.
- The Breville toaster oven has nine preset functions including:
- The Breville Smart Oven comes with a limited one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- You will likely be able to purchase an extended warranty from some retailers as well. Be sure to include that additional price in the overall budget, if you believe you will be adding this extra protection onto your purchase.
- The Breville weighs twenty-two pounds.
- The toaster oven has exterior dimensions of
- 18 1/2 inches width
- 15 3/4 inches depth
- 11 inches height
- The toaster oven’s interior dimensions are:
- 13 1/4 inches width
- 11 1/4 inches depth
- 5 1/4 inches height
- The Breville comes with several accessories, including baking pans and broiling racks.
Our Verdict: The Breville Toaster Oven is a Pretty Good Product
Overall, the Breville toaster oven appears to be an excellent toaster oven made from high-quality materials with bonus features that set it apart from the competition.
The features like the presets, the separate temperature, time, and function controls, and the versatility make this toaster oven a great option for any kitchen.
If you decide to purchase a Breville toaster oven, be sure to check out various websites to find the best sales and prices at the time. Some companies offer price matching, as well, so don’t hesitate to mention those prices in the store if you decide to shop in person rather than online.